The Ideal Book Shelf Blog and Website (links above), feature some of my favourite book artwork by artist Jane Mount.
She started the project of the Ideal Bookshelf in 2007 and has since then been painting people through their bookshelves; featuring the books they love.
Through the website you can order a painting of your own custom book shelf or you can order a print of a pre-made bookshelf.
This art makes me think of which books have shaped the person I am, have taught me things, have been there through rough times, and have enlightened my life. I don’t know how many books I have read in my 21 years, but I know that it is too many to fit on one of Mount’s bookshelves.
If I had to choose 7 books these are the ones I would choose:
1. The Girl-Son (Ann E. Neubeger) – This is my all time favourite book. I think I read it 8-10 times in elelmentary school alone, and just received my own copy a few months ago.
2. The Face on the Milk Carton (Caroline B. Cooney) – Another favourite from when I was growing up.
3. A Change of Heart (Jodi Picoult) – My favourite book, by my favouite author.
4. Outliers (Malcolm Gladwell) – Insightful, and thought provoking. It got me thinking about things I have never considered before.
5. The Catcher in the Rye (J. D. Salinger) – I read this book in highschool, and I instantly related to Holden’s character.
6. Still Alice (Lisa Genova) – Such an interesting perspective. A heart breaking story, but full of love that makes you appreciate your family and those close to you.
7. Firefly Lane (Kristin Hannah) – This is the book that led me to my second favourite author. It made me cry and I was hooked.
I would really love to have a portrait of my books. Maybe one day. Although I think it might be difficult to commit to 7 books, or even to one shelf….
Which books would you put on your bookshelf?